|2010 British Hairdresser of the Year Nominees |
2010 British Hairdresser of the Year Nominees Announced
The waiting is over and the nominees for HJ’s 26th British Hairdressing Awards, sponsored by Schwarzkopf Professional have been announced. From a specially selected group of industry experts, beauty journalists and international trade press, eight inspirational and influential hairdressers – the cream of the British hairdressing industry, have been nominated for the prestigious British Hairdresser of the Year Award.
The nominated hairdressers are:
• Errol Douglas – this is the 14th nomination for Knightsbridge salon owner Errol Douglas, previous winner of Afro Hairdresser of the Year 1993, 1995 and 2007.
• Tim Hartley – this is Tim’s first British Hairdresser of the Year nomination. With his sense of creativity and his empowering teaching ability, Tim has been consistently creating collections and inspiring generations of stylists for over 30 years.
• Mark Hayes – this is the second nomination for Mark, the International Creative Director of Sassoon. Having joined Sassoon over 30 years ago, Mark is responsible for creating their renowned photographic collections.
• Akin Konizi – Artistic Director for hob salon group, and the current British Hairdresser of the Year. Akin also won the title in 2008, making him only the third person in the awards history to win the award for two consecutive years. This is Akin’s fifth nomination.
• Angelo Seminara – the 2007 British Hairdresser of the Year and International Creative Director at Trevor Sorbie. Angelo has previously won Avant Garde Hairdresser of the Year three times and spends much of his time creating editorial and catwalk looks. This is Angelo’s fifth nomination.
• Phil Smith – as an investor in 25 international Toni & Guy salons, this is Phil’s eighth nomination. Phil is a previous winner of Wales & South West Hairdresser of the Year in 1993,1998 and 1999.
• Gary Hooker & Michael Young – this is the third nomination for owners of salon group Hooker & Young, six times winners of North Eastern Hairdresser of the Year and Schwarzkopf Professional British Colour Technicians of the Year 2006. *Andrew Barton has decided not to accept his nomination in 2010.
In the British Hairdressing Awards 26 year history there have only been 15 hairdressers who have been awarded this esteemed title. They are - Trevor Sorbie, Anthony Mascolo, Irvine and Rita Rusk, John Frieda, Andrew Collinge, Nicky Clarke, Charles Worthington, Umberto Giannini, Beverly C, Mark Hill, Antoinette Beenders, Lisa Shepherd, Andrew Barton, Angelo Seminara and Akin Konizi. 2009 British Hairdresser of the Year, Akin Konizi was ecstatic when he won the coveted title. “Winning HJ’s prestigious British Hairdresser of the Year Award for a second consecutive year in 2009 was absolutely incredible and is almost too hard to put into words! As only the third hairdresser in the history of the awards to win this title two years in a row, I feel very proud to be recognised in this way and it really is a true honour to fly the flag for British hairdressing - which is the most amazing industry to work in,” adds Akin.
Jayne Lewis-Orr, Publisher/Editor-in-Chief of Hairdressers Journal International was delighted to announce the nominees. “British hairdressing is viewed throughout the world as being creative and inspiring and the eight British Hairdresser of the Year nominees, all live up to that expectation. The forthcoming months are going to be very exciting, as we have the first round judging of the regional and specialist categories, followed by the announcement of the six finalists within nine regional categories and the six specialist categories. Within that time, the British Hairdresser of the Year nominees will be preparing their exclusive portfolio, which will be judged with the regional and specialist category finalists. I wish everyone involved the best of luck, as winning a British Hairdressing Award can really change your life.”
Date for your diaries
The British Hairdressing Awards 2010 is presented by Hairdressers Journal International and sponsored by Schwarzkopf Professional. The winners in all sixteen categories, culminating in the premier accolade, British Hairdresser of the Year 2010, will be announced at a fantastic star studded awards ceremony and dinner at the Grosvenor House Hotel, A JW Marriot Hotel, Park Lane, London on Monday 22nd November 2010.