Common Hair Mistakes
1. Washing hair on a daily basis.Regularly washing your hair strips it of essential oils and can leave it dry and brittle. If you have naturally oily hair, use a mild, pH-balanced shampoo. When washing your hair don't rub the scalp vigorously as this will stimulate the oil glands to produce more sebum.
2. Leaving shampoo and conditioner in your hair. Shampoo and conditioner that is not thoroughly rinsed out of the hair is the worst culprit for bad hair days. It counteracts styling products, leaves your hair looking dull, limp and unmanageable. Try to rinse your hair for an extra couple of minutes after shampooing and conditioning.
3. Not trimming your hair every 6 weeks. The tip of each hair is weaker then the root, making it more vulnerable to breakage and split ends. Having the tips trimmed every 6 weeks helps to maintain the condition of your hair and its style.
4. Rubbing your hair vigorously with a towel. The action of rubbing you hair with a towel actually roughens the hair cuticle, which can lead to frizzy, flyaway hair.
5. Blow-drying hair until completely dry. Overheating your hair makes it susceptible to breakage and strips it of shine. A better idea is to blow-dry hair until its 80% dry and then let it air dry, naturally. Alternatively use a leave-in conditioner or styling product that protects your hair from heat styling. Also, hold the hair dryer at least 30 centimetres away from your hair.
6. Not using products recommended for your hair type. Many women misdiagnose their hair type and subsequently purchase the wrong hair products to style hair. Using the right product will help to recreate that special salon style.
7. Not using a clarifying shampoo once a week. Everyday pollutants cling to hair and leave a thin coat of grime that dulls and weighs down the hair. Using a clarifying shampoo once a week will give hair a residue free fresh start.
8. Using Ceramic Straighteners every day.It's true, once you have a pair of the newest ceramic straighteners on the market, your life will be transformed. No more spending hours getting ready for that special night out. We can all literally now 'wash and go'. Thanks to our straighteners we can all be the owners of beautifully straight hair. However, remember that this comes at a price, and it is important not to over use the straighteners, no matter how addictive they can be, it is a good idea to use them sparingly. Limiting your use of the straighteners will do wonders for your hair.
9. Thinking the latest fashion hair cut will suit you.Lets face it, we're not all beautiful models, with cheek bones to die for. Not all of us can get away with the latest, trendiest, most fashionable hair cut, and to be quit honest, asking yourself, do you REALLY want to be the proud (or maybe not as the case might be) owner of a haircut which is bound to be out of fashion before you have even walked out of the salon. Drastic haircuts take a long time to grow out, so be sure you want to take the risk before sitting in the char and letting your hairdresser go to work. Be specific and take lots of photographs to ensure you are getting the look you want. It is a good idea to take along a trusted friend for advice! Better yet, is to check out the style gallery on our website www.ukhairdressers.com and chose the style of your dreams, and them simply click on the 'Virtual haircut' section and download a passport size photograph of yourself so you can begin to get some sort of idea how that 'dream hair cut' will look on you!